Taste of an Egg Curry / Dimer Dalna

I tried making Dimer Dalna today. Why? I am not sure if I am a foodie or just love try different recipes. I guess a bit of both. I was checking recipes and on food channels and websites. I wanted to try more than my usual fare of ginger and garlic paste and some chopped onions, tomatoes and green chilies chopped and sauteed. My son was in no mood to eat this gravy day in and out in chicken, vegetables, dal, fish, etc,etc. Not that I am planning to give up my favorite usual fare. But just wanted to try something different and very first attempt managed a good Dimer Dalna.
Since it was a new dish I was preparing, I wanted to get ready with the preps the previous night and I peeled the garlic, onions and par boiled potatoes and hard boiled the eggs. Morning dawned bright and nice in Canada and I made a paste of onions, garlic and cumin and coriander as well. I put the paste aside and heated oil in a pan and added some garam masala and turmeric and fried the boiled egg till the outer skin was coated with the masala. The coating is light. (Never mind if it does not get covered completely). In the leftover oil add another tablespoon oil and fry the onion, garlic masala paste. add par boiled potatoes and add tomatoes chopped finely and a 3 green chillies slit lengthwise. In about 5 minutes when the gravy comes together and the potatoes are fully cooked, add the boiled and fried eggs. cook on simmer and for few more minutes and garnish with fresh coriander. This dish tastes good with chapati as well as with steamed rice. I am sure it would taste great with rice bhakri too. I tried it with rice bhakri.

Ingredients
3 hard boiled eggs
2 medium sized par boiled potatoes
half a bunch of coariander
half tsp cumin seed
half tsp coriander seed
a small piece of cinnamon stick
10 to 15 peppercorns
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
2 medium sized onions
2 medium sized tomatoes
2 tbsp of oil
salt to taste
half tsp of turmeric
4 green chillies
half tsp of red chilli powder.

PS: I have modified this recipe to suit my family's taste.


Recipe courtesy You Tube/Bengali Cooking/Dream River Creation

Ranga Rajah

Comments

Popular Posts