Taste of an onion

Agreed onions in a stew/curry gives it a mouth watering taste. But a year ago, India banned the exports after eye-watering price rise. Ah, today we got to taste the onions grown on the Indian soil. On one of my many trips to the Indian grocery stores, I saw a beautiful pale yet rich pink colored, petite sized onions. The feathery skin was just about holding the compact layer. The vegetable sure did look like a young, well-groomed lady. I was immediately attracted to it. I wanted to grab as many as I could lay my hands upon to take home with me. After  a long time I was actually going to cook with onions imported from India. I carried that bag as if I was carry something very precious. Yes, it was very valuable. 
A day later I decided to make chicken stew. I wanted to keep the dish as simple as I could, because I wanted the onion in the curry to be the main attraction. I did manage to make that stew using the marinated chicken I had put aside. The stew turned out just fine, simple yet amazing and I did manage to keep the onion in the chicken stew as the main ingredient. How? By constantly informing my son about how I managed to lay my hands upon this precious commodity. Also, I informed him to go easy on the raw onion as a side for his rotis and curry. His comment was straight and simple, "If you have something valuable, you will reserve it for the best ingredient to match it with." True, very true. I have saved a few bulbs for my meat curry for next week. The times we are living in is one where everything is available throughout the year. Nothing is seasonal. It is all about demand and supply. Yet, we were all brought down to our knees by this beautiful bulb.

Comments

Popular Posts