Chillar Party

My shift at my weekend job ended early. I decided to ditch shopping as it was too hot to go out and planned to make myself something quick and simple. Had squash and some tomatoes in the fridge. Decided on making sambar and rice.
Well, did not have to toil in the kitchen, just washed the rice and turned my rice cooker on and used the pressure cooker to make instant sambar.
While my supper was getting ready in my kitchen, I made myself a cup of coffee and switched on the TV saw this film with lots of children and a dog going on. I checked the tv guide saw that I had missed about 20 minutes of Chillar Party.


A movie by Salman Khan's Being Human foundation in collaboration with UTV.
It is a simple movie about children and their uncomplicated emotions. It is quite endearing to see how they go about achieving their goals with a single minded focus--unitedly. Yes they fail too, but the next minute they all get together and think collectively how to resolve challenges they encounter.
The challenge here is, 'how to protect a stray dog from being sent to the pound'.
It all happens when Phatka comes to live (in the same society building as the children) with his dog Bhidu. The group of children hate Phatka and Bhidu but soon become friends over cricket match and this sets in motion a series of hurdles starting with parents disapproving the budding friendship between Phatka and their children, followed by Bhidu the stray dog becoming a political tug-of-war between a local politician and the children.
The Chaddi March, an effort to save Bhidu by the children is another highlight of the film.
Phatka who speaks the typical sadak chaap Bambaiya lingo is in total contrast to the well heeled school going children from the building.
Even among the children, each one is different. There is an intellectual called Encyclopaedia, another kid is nicknamed Panauti (harbinger of bad omen).
The film explores the recesses of the mind of these children.
The credit definitely goes to the writers and the directors--but most importantly to producers Salman Khan and UTV.
It has won National Film Award for Best Children's Film.
Loved the movie and I am looking forward to a rerun of CHILLAR PARTY.
This time around, I will make sure not to miss the starting.

Ranga Rajah
August 4 2013



Comments

Popular Posts