Trying Times

Transition, they say is crucial to making progress in one's life. How to make the transition smooth? Every time I planned on making major changes to my life, I often heard my friend say this to me, "please do not rush into anything. Ensure you have planned to make your transition as smooth as possible." I always asked him how? I never got an answer. I always wondered why this friend of mine left me hanging without an answer. Today, after a lot of soul searching and going through similar experience, I realized and understood that transition, no matter how well you plan it, this thing can never be smooth.
It throws up challenges one had never imagined. Well, let us take the example of going back to school. It was such a simple plan. A little something, I wanted to achieve after working for over three decades. I had informed my boss about it for over two years and finally was relieved of my services with a promise that I will work part-time. I went about filling applications and submitting documents and started going to my class to learn. And then this simple plan started turning a bit complicated. First things first. No one seemed to notice, but my presence was more like a teacher than a student. I was part of class/es with few classmates more than half my age, half my age, but none close to my age. That was least of the problems. whatever feelings I had about the age gap vanished after the second class. Age related problems apart, I had an issue that was real and not imaginary. I did not have a job to bring in the pay checks that had supported my payments and helped in running my home. I needed money to pay my bills, fees and everything little thing one can imagine money can help support you with. I decided to take up the part-time job offer my boss had for me. But the timing was not suiting my school schedule. I had to quickly plan my next move. Student loan was an option available. I was relieved. But wait, my relief was short-lived. The documents to be submitted seemed within my reach, atleast the first few listed were truly within my reach and I collected and filed them and handed them over. The office staff looked at my papers and asked me to get a spousal consent form signed by my better-half. I did that and submitted it. Next came a request for my marriage certificate. Never thought I will require one, therefore never had one made. "an affidavit would do." said the staff. I smiled a big yes and asked how to go about it. "We can do it for you, I will check if I can get you an appointment asap," said the staff in a reassuring tone.  After checking, she asked me to bring my spouse along with me for the appointment...
It was not possible for my better half to be there for me and my affidavit. He was away touring and the deadline was just eight days away. I thought about the next best step and I revisited that question of how to make a transition smooth in my mind. It dawned upon me that, you have to smooth out every step you take during your transition. and as they say, 'one step at a time'.

Ranga Rajah

  Entertainment

Comments

Popular Posts