Rasam, Cabbage curry and rice

Rasam rice and cabbage curry is one of my favorite meals when I am down and out. I guess it reminds me of my childhood. As a child my most favorite meal used to be parrippu saadam. 
It is a simple dish. Plain boiled toor dal is mised with rice. Or rather mashed with rice and a pinch of salt is added and a big dollop of desi ghee. It tastes just great. the aroma of ghee and piping hot dal and steaming rice. try it once and u will become a fan of this simple fare. 
Later on, as I grew in years, I wanted a little spice in my food and I guess that is where and how rasam entered my life. wow, rasam, rice and a big dollop of ghee. No idea where this big dollop of eating ghee came from. But I used to love its aroma. I still love ghee and can't resist these two simple meals. 
Another favorite food of mine is kichadi. On the days when I am feeling lazy and the day seems to be dragging on and on, I love eating spicy hot kichadi. my recipe for kichadi is simple Rice+dal+onions+tomatos+green chillies, a pinch of asafoetida, salt and cook for about 15 minutes in a pressure cooker and have it with either lemon or mango pickle that is drenched in oil...
somedays, I want to eat the foods I grew up eating. Those are the days I know life and things in general have changed a lot since I was a child...
Ranga Rajah

Comments

Popular Posts