ridged gourd and black eyed beans

some days are just not happening days in my life. I would count yesterday as one of those days. The mere sight of stove and refrigerator was frightening, scary and even making me nervous. I wanted to cook yet not cook. yes, 'to be or not to be'... anyway, dragged myself out of my slumber, washed the brown rice and lit up the fire. (in this case my electric rice cooker). then looked at the shelves holding my lentils and spices. spotted black-eyed-beans. I knew my menu for the day. Rice. Black-eyed-bean curry and fresh vegetables tossed with some fresh spices.
while the rice was getting cooked, I started making my Black Eyed Bean curry.
Take a cup of these lovely looking beans and cook them in a pressure cooker with cummin seeds, turmeric, asafoetida (a pinch), green chillies and garlic powder. (I am too lazy to chop the peeled garlic I buy from the market). while the bean is cooking, I chopped some onions and tomatoes and heated oil in a pan and fried the onions and added tomatoes to it. Added salt and red chilli powder and added it to the cooked beans and boiled the curry/dal for about ten mins. Time for some fresh coriander garnish and ready to eat with the rice. But I was in a mood to treat myself. I chopped Ridged gourd and long gourd and spinach and heated oil in a pan and added few chopped garlic, (I did take that trouble of doing it coz I was in a great mood), 6 green chillies, tomatoes and added to the oil. after sauteing this mix, added the veggies and cooked for abt 5 mins and added salt and felt it needed a little more punch, therefore added extra teaspoon full of red chilli powder. This subzi was not dry, it was a little watery. Bean curry/dal too was gravy like. but I thought it was perfect for my brown rice. yummm and with chilli pickle and some fresh copped onions and green chillies to go with it. Loved my lunch yesterday.
signing off
got to take a nap

Comments

Popular Posts